When it comes to parenting, keeping it simple makes sense. Leading parenting expert Michael Grose helps with this easy guide to raising kids, part of our Best of The Parents Website series.
This is one of our shortest articles on The Parents Website but one of the most profound – a list to keep handy when you need some instant inspiration.
The simple formula for parenting
- Show kids how to behave.
- Keep pets to develop nurturance and responsibility.
- Be the adult in the parent-child relationship.
- Cultivate good manners.
- Build character daily.
- Catch kids being kind, gentle and strong.
- Establish healthy habits early.
- Stick to routines.
- Have fun.
- Eat together every day.
- Focus on excellence, not perfection.
- Spend individual time with each child each week.
- Expect kids to change.
- Keep an adult only place at home.
- Admit it when you’re wrong.
- Choose time and place to deliver big messages.
- Keep the meal table free from arguments.
- Prepare for tomorrow the night before.
- Expect children to help.
- Encourage siblings to apologise.
- Send kids to school with breakfast, a kiss and a smile.
- Celebrate success as a family.
- Spend time in nature together.
- Let go.
You might also like Five micro-habits to be a better parent, from Michael Grose
About Michael Grose
Michael is founder of Parenting Ideas, is one of Australia’s leading parenting educators.
His most recent book is Why First-borns Rule the World and why Later-borns Want to Change It is published by Penguin Random House Australia, RRP: $34.99.
Michael’s other books include the Spoonfed Generation, and Anxious Kids, was co-authored with Dr Jodi Richardson.
We thank Michael for allowing us to repost this blog, which originally appeared on his Parenting Ideas website.
This article first appeared on The Parents Website in March 2021.sign up for our newsletter