In a complicated world, keeping parenting simple makes a lot of sense. Leading parenting expert Michael Grose helps with this easy guide to raising kids.
This is one of our shortest articles on The Parents Website but one of the most profound – a list to keep handy when you need some instant inspiration.
The simple formula for parenting
- Show kids how to behave.
- Keep pets to develop nurturance and responsibility.
- Be the adult in the parent-child relationship.
- Cultivate good manners.
- Build character daily.
- Catch kids being kind, gentle and strong.
- Establish healthy habits early.
- Stick to routines.
- Have fun.
- Eat together every day.
- Focus on excellence, not perfection.
- Spend individual time with each child each week.
- Expect kids to change.
- Keep an adult only place at home.
- Admit it when you’re wrong.
- Choose time and place to deliver big messages.
- Keep the meal table free from arguments.
- Prepare for tomorrow the night before.
- Expect children to help.
- Encourage siblings to apologise.
- Send kids to school with breakfast, a kiss and a smile.
- Celebrate success as a family.
- Spend time in nature together.
- Let go.
About Michael Grose
Michael Grose, founder of Parenting Ideas, is one of Australia’s leading parenting educators. He’s the author of 12 books for parents including Spoonfed Generation and the best-selling Why First Borns Rule the World and Last Borns Want to Change It. His latest release Anxious Kids, was co-authored with Dr Jodi Richardson.
We thank Michael for allowing us to repost this blog, which originally appeared on his Parenting Ideas website.Subscribe to The Parents Website